Essential Summer Party Tips!
It’s officially summer!! School is out. We’ve celebrated summer solstice. And the weather is FINALLY nice! With all that happy stuff comes time for summer gatherings. Since summer is a time for relaxing and enjoying the company of friends and family, you don’t want to be running around like a crazy person, trying to pull off a casual summer party. Here are a few of our tried and true tips to get you through the preparation, so that you can enjoy the celebration!
1. Keep it relaxed and fun! Now is not the time for formal, stuffy parties! Save those for the colder months. Summer is the best time for outdoor dining and soaking in those long days.
2. Set the scene: Whether you choose a theme or decide to just go with the flow, setting the table outside is a fun and easy way to get the party started. Don’t fuss about having matchy-matchy chairs and place settings! It’ll create a more colorful and relaxed atmosphere if you mix it up a bit!
3. Décor: You know I love to shop local, so hit the farmers market for fresh ingredients and flowers! You won’t need any additional décor – just let the flowers steal the show!
4. Make it easy for guests to serve themselves drinks (kids and adults): It’s never fun to have to bug the host for a drink. Make it easy for everyone and set up a drink station!
5. Provide sunscreen and bug spray! You don’t want your guests to remember your party because they got a million bug bites or a kickin’ sunburn! Keep everyone happy and comfortable by supplying the necessities!
6. Provide places to throw the trash: For a quick and easy place for trash, you can line a pop up laundry basket with a trash bag and viola! You’ve got yourself an inexpensive container! Label each can so guests know where to put recycling.
7. Don’t forget seating! Lots of comfortable seating is a must. Set up groupings of seating areas so that guests are able to have conversations. If you don’t have enough outdoor furniture, don’t stress! I love to use a big blanket with lots of oversized pillows.
8. Turn the light into the night: Add some twinkle lights wrapped around the trees and the mood carries into the evening! Paper lanterns are an inexpensive way to add lights too. Light up the firepit and your guests will want to stay until the wee hours of the night!
9. Create a great playlist: You gotta have music! Tunes make or break the mood. Be sure to pick music that is fitting for your crowd.
10. Add some fun! Backyard games are always fun. Create a life-size Jenga game, or stick to the basics – like wiffle ball , ladder ball or good old cornhole! Or, if you have a crowd that may not know each other well, provide some conversation cards with questions like, “who was your favorite teacher growing up and why”
It doesn’t matter if you are throwing a big party or a small, intimate gathering, if you plan accordingly it’s sure to be a great time. Relax and enjoy your guests!
Here’s a refreshing drink recipe for you (and your guests to enjoy!).
Yummy Raspberry Limoncello!
- 3 cups Prosecco, chilled
- 1 cup Limoncello liqueur, chilled
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 6 sprigs fresh mint
- In a large pitcher, whisk together Prosecco and Limoncello
- Serve over raspberries. Garnish with mint if desired.